Did you know that crooked, crowded, or misaligned teeth don’t just hurt your appearance but your bite and oral health as well? Misaligned teeth can cause difficulty chewing, jaw problems, and prematurely wear down tooth enamel, which is the one thing standing between your teeth and cavity-causing decay.
Invisalign® clear therapeutic grade plastic aligners straighten your teeth discreetly so you don’t have to worry about how you look during the orthodontic process. They gradually shift your teeth into position as you wear them 22 hours a day. You can take them out to eat, drink and clean, both your teeth and your aligners. You can enjoy the convenience of eating and drinking without restriction and brushing and flossing as usual. There are no stuck food particles between brackets and no additional areas for bacteria and plaque to hide. They are comfortable to wear since there are no wires and brackets and elastics. The smooth aligners are easy on your oral tissues, inside of the cheeks, the gums, and lips.
Benefits of Straight Teeth
– The most obvious benefit of having aligned teeth is cosmetic. When your teeth are straight and your gums healthy, your smile radiates confidence and you have greater self-esteem around your appearance. This confidence spills over to other areas of your life – your relationship with others, your job and career, schooling, and social life.
– Straight teeth are easy to clean. You can brush and floss easily, even in those hard to reach places at the back of the mouth, between the teeth, and around the gumline. This helps reduce plaque-causing bacteria and oral debris, bad breath and tooth decay.
– A misaligned bite or malocclusion can stress the teeth and cause premature wear and tear. Chipped teeth, fractures along tooth edges, and abnormal flattening of the surface of the molars can all result from malocclusion. Weakened teeth then need dental work to protect or save them.
– Misaligned teeth can harm the gum tissue supporting them and lead to gum disease. Inflammation, bleeding, infection, gum recession, alveolar bone loss, and ultimately, tooth loss can all result.
– When your bite is off because of crowded, gapped, or misaligned teeth your jaw joints are stressed. The temporomandibular joints (TMJs) that connect your jaw to your skull and the supportive muscles around are then strained. This often leads to pain in your jaws, along with headaches, ear aches, dizziness, and even ringing in the ears.
– If you have oral infections you are at greater risk for diabetes, stroke, heart disease and pneumonia. This is because the bacterial infection can travel through your blood vessels into your bloodstream and make their way to other organs in your body.
As you can see, misaligned teeth can impact so much more than just how you look and feel about yourself. It can seriously impact your oral health along with your overall health. Investing in a straighter smile has benefits far and beyond cosmetic appeal and can improve your life on several levels. Using Invisalign®, aligning your teeth has never been easier! Please give our team a call to find out how you can benefit from this treatment.