Do you ever wake up with frequent pains in your mouth as if your teeth and gums were getting a workout while you were sleeping? The truth is they may be. Due to an oral health condition known as bruxism, you may be grinding and clenching your teeth while you sleep and doing serious damage to your tooth enamel and gums. Listed below are a few signs and symptoms that are often present if bruxism is occurring throughout the night:
– Are you grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw while you sleep? Do you have any sleep partners have commented on it as it is loud enough to awaken them?
– Do you have any teeth that are extremely flat, fractured, or worn down?
– Does it appear as if your tooth enamel has totally worn down over time?
– When you wake up in the morning do you have any increased tooth sensitivity, including additional jaw or facial pain? Do you have any aches or pains when you wake up in the form of earaches or headaches?
– Do you have any irregular markings inside of the inner cheeks of your mouth, including cheek tissue damage?
– Are there any strange or abnormal markings and indentations on your tongue?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, you may be suffering from bruxism. At High Desert Dental, we are pleased to offer night guards to help our patients with bruxism. Please call our dentist office in Boise, Idaho, at 208-343-4732. Drs. Fethke, Kooyman, and Pottenger a look forward to protecting your smile!